Mother Colony House 414 North West Street, Anaheim, CA 92801, USA
Posted on June 6, 2015 / 862
Opening Hours
George Hansen built the Mother Colony House in 1857 when German immigrants hired the San Francisco resident to plan the
layout for the settlement that would become Anaheim.
The original 50 German families were part of the Los Angeles Vineyard Society. They came to Anaheim to grow grapes for wine.
Hansen, a native Austrian, spent his first days in Anaheim living in a tent before the house was completed.
He built the house on land at what is now Anaheim Boulevard and Sycamore Street that he bought from Spanish land-owner,
Juan Pacifico Ontiveros, for $2 an acre.
The Mother Colony House originally was more like a cottage. It had no kitchen or indoor bathroom. It wasn’t until Hansen sold
it in 1863 that it became a three bedroom house.
admin
Reviews
There are no reviews yet, why not be the first?
Leave a review
Rating:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Listings