Aliso and Wood Canyons Regional Park is a major regional park and wildlife sanctuary in Orange County in the U.S. state of California, covering approximately 3,879 acres (6.02 square miles or 15.7 km²) in the lower watershed of Aliso Creek. It borders the suburban districts of Aliso Viejo, Dana Point, and Laguna Niguel, and the small city of Laguna Beach. The park encompasses the main Aliso Canyon, a water gap through the San Joaquin Hills; Wood Canyon, a major tributary valley; and portions of Laguna Canyon, Hobo Canyon, and the El Toro Cliffs. Located at the southern end of the Monterey Formation, it is a major archaeological site that has yielded both artifacts of native inhabitation and ancient marine fossils dating back to the middle to late Miocene age. The park itself has an elevation range from 14 feet (4.3 m) to 515 feet (157 m), though nearby Temple Hill reaches 1,000 feet (300 m) high.
Historically, the park area was inhabited by the Juaneño (Acjachemen) and Gabrieleño (Tongva) Indians, with Aliso Creek serving as the border between the land of the two tribes. The entire park and surrounding land were part of the 1842 Rancho Niguel Mexican Land Grant until 1960, when the land was sold off to eventually become parts of three Orange County cities. The park was created in 1979 by an initial dedication of 3,400 acres (5.31 square miles or 13.75 km²) by the Mission Viejo Company; and opened in 1990. Approximately 30 miles (48 km) of trails wind throughout the park, and the Aliso Water District Road parallels Aliso Creek through the canyon to its mouth. The Aliso Creek Inn and Golf Course lie near the mouth of the canyon in its narrowest stretch directly before it enters the Pacific Ocean.